Cartha Queen’s Park v Dundee High Rugby, 7th April 2018

The 21st league match of the season and the 21st different line-up for Dundee, including Danny McGinn in the unaccustomed position of scrum-half, in what has proved to be a challenging season. On a heavy pitch, and with the rain just starting, Cartha were the first to show, but handling, which was to prove difficult through the afternoon, let them down and Dundee cleared. Cartha looked the more purposeful of the two teams in the opening exchanges and, after 10 minutes, their efforts were rewarded when full-back Wayne Burrows slotted a penalty goal, to give the home side a 3-0 lead.

Perhaps stung into action, Dundee moved up a gear and only a minute later, George Arnott shrugged of an attempted tackle in the Cartha 22 and strolled on unopposed for a try, converted by Harvey Young, to put Dundee ahead, 3-7.

The Dundee scrum was exerting some dominance, inducing penalties by Cartha, but a series of three scrum-option penalties, which took Dundee well into the Cartha 22ended with a knock-on by Dundee. When Cartha were penalised shortly after, however, Andrew Hamilton took the kick quickly and darted over for a second score, again converted by Harvey, to extend the lead. 3 – 14, after 30 minutes.

Good Dundee handling and indifferent Cartha tackling led to several close things, before a try from Angus Farquar, converted by Harvey, increased the lead after 35 minutes: 3-21.

Three minutes later, a long Dundee clearance took play to the Cartha 22 and, when Cartha attempted to clear, the kick was charged down and followed up by Duncan Leese, who touch down the loose ball for the bonus-point try, which this time was not converted, moving the score to 3 – 26, which it remained until half-time.

Half-time: Cartha Queen’s Park 3 Dundee HSFP 26

After an indifferent start, Dundee took control of the half, aided by scrum dominance, and the challenge for the second half was to maintain the tempo, make use of scrum dominance and increase the pace.

In the event, the second half was notable for no further scoring and for nothing else. In increasingly miserable conditions, Cartha had more of the possession, but the Dundee defence was more than a match for their efforts. Dundee were seldom in attack throughout the half and it was something of a relief when the whistle sounded for no-side.

The best of the affair was that the match ended when it did, because shortly afterwards the pitch was awash, following a huge deluge.

Full-time: Cartha Queen’s Park 3 Dundee HSFP 26

Dundee scorers:

Tries: George Arnott, Andrew Hamilton, Angus Farquar, Duncan Leese.
Conversions: Harvey Young (3)

Dundee Man of the Match: Angus Farquar

Leave a Reply