Selkirk’s match report v Dundee, Philiphaugh, 17th December 16


Selkirk wing Tythan Adams dives over in the corner to score the home side’s first try in Saturday’s game against Dundee HSFP.

A Dundee HSFP defender can’t prevent skipper Ross Nixon from touching down another try as Selkirk begin to get the upper hand.

Fly-half Gavin Craig puts boot to ball, watched by team-mate Andrew Renwick, as Dundee centre Tim McKavanagh closes in.

Selkirk wing Scott Hendrie looks around for support after being tackled by Dundee HSFP full-back Jack Broadley.



A BONUS point win against a Dundee HSFP side which put 61 points past them at Mayfield earlier this season, saw Selkirk’s players head into the festive break in high spirits following Saturday’s hard-fought BT National League 1 encounter at Philiphaugh.
No-one was happier with the outcome than Selkirk skipper Ross Nixon, who said after the final whistle that the coaches and players had placed special emphasis on the Philiphaugh side’s three league fixtures leading up to the Christmas break.
“We let things slip in the first of these games at Hamilton, so we were doubly determined to put things right in the next two matches against Musselburgh and Dundee, and thankfully that’s what we’ve managed to achieve.
“The boys showed a lot more desire today and the intensity was up right from the word go. Our defence was also better structured, but perhaps the biggest improvement was in our discipline. Giving away unnecessary penalties has cost us dear in recent weeks, but today everyone knuckled down and kept their focus.”
In Selkirk’s starting line-up for the first time since arriving from South Africa, wing Tythan Adams repaid the selectors’ faith by turning on the after-burners to outstrip the Dundee cover to score the home side’s first try.
The visitors’ points in the first half came from a try by blindside flanker Neil Turnbull, converted by fly-half Ewan Fox, who had earlier kicked a penalty.
Selkirk’s two other tries before the break were touched down by Ross Nixon and Scott Hendrie (who also added the conversion), putting the Philiphaugh team17-10 ahead at the interval.
Any plans the Mayfield men had of getting back on level terms early in the second half were thwarted by some excellent attacking rugby from Ross Nixon’s players, whose deft support play and uncompromising protection of the ball in the contact areas will have pleased head coach Graham Marshall no end.
A fourth try scored by Jordan McGowan secured Selkirk’s bonus point, with Josh Welsh adding a conversion and a penalty to complete the home total.
Fifteen minutes from full-time the game had to be halted after Dundee hooker Cameron Mathieson sustained what appeared to be a serious neck injury. After an extensive assessment, he was stretchered from the field, but to everyone’s great relief the player was eventually able to return to the visitors’ technical area after being given the all-clear by Selkirk Rugby Club’s medical team.
A storming display by Michael Waldron saw the young home prop named as the Four Seasons Forestry ‘Selkirk Man of the Match’.
The win sees Selkirk leapfrog Dundee to go fifth in the league, with the Souters’ next BT National League 1 fixture another tough assignment away to GHA on January 7.

SELKIRK – D. Clapperton, S. Hendrie, R. Nixon, C. MacDougall, T. Adams, G. Craig, J. Wallace, K. Cooney, J. Bett, M. Waldron, A. Renwick, P. Forrest, E. MacDougall, I. Oosthuizen, S. Nixon. Replacements: B. Siyothula, M. Robertson, J. McGowan, J. Welsh, F. Anderson.

DUNDEE – J. Broadley, I. Matacagi, C. Bowie, T. McKavanagh, R. Joy, E. Fox, H. Sampson, N. Dymock, C. Mathieson, A. Brown, I. Robertson, J. Anderson, N. Turnbull, A. Fraser, G. Arnott. Replacements: L. McLean, A. Clarkson, S. Gartley, D. McGinn, R. Fairweather.

Referee – Matt Dawson (British Army).

Leave a Reply